I love Mexican food! You can eat it in so many different ways and never get tired of it. This Chicken and Sweet Potato Fajitas recipe will put a new twist on a traditional favorite.
My husband is a fan because of all the cheese and sour cream you can use to garnish your dishes. But for this dish, I steered away from the classic cheddar and went for feta. Yes! Feta cheese on Mexican food. The subtle saltiness mingled with the spice of the seasoning and the tang of the lime was pure bliss.
Dinner was a tough one for us tonight. Frustrations piled high as picky eaters made declarations about what they were and were not going to eat. My three year old is in the negotiation stage. He likes to tell us how many bites he thinks he should take.
Some nights we counter offer and other nights, like tonight, we stand firm. I get so weary of arguing over petty things, like the crust on the bread or the shape that chicken should be (like a dinosaur apparently).
After a few rounds back and forth I think, wait a minute, I’m the mom! I’m not going to argue with a three year old, I’m above this! I am big, he is small! I am big, he is small! Don’t forget mom, you’re in charge! Those little ones are testing every boundary, not to see if you’ll fall over like wimp, but to see if you’ll stand firm!
I heard an analogy recently that compared boundary testing like the seat belts on a roller coaster. When you sit down and that bar comes over the top of you, you wiggle and jiggle it trying to make sure that it will hold. You don’t want it to come loose! If it does, you’re outta there!
It’s the same with kiddos of all ages. They will push and pull at those boundaries, not to see if you’ll falter, but to see if you’ll stand firm. So keep your head up momma! Stand firm and know that the Lord is the one giving you strength!
Chicken and Sweet Potato Fajitas
This unique take on fajitas will surprise your taste buds and have them begging for more. No more boring fajitas, try this fun version with sweet potatoes and feta.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 package chicken tenders
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- ½ red onion
- ½ jalapeno, diced
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- ½ Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 Tablespoons cummin
- 1 lime
- feta cheese
- olive oil
- Mix seasoning together in a small bowl.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes into long french-fry like spears. Sprinkle half of seasoning over the potatoes and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and squeeze half of the lime over the potatoes and toss together.
- In a skillet over medium low heat, add the slices veggies and the rest of the seasoning. After 2-3 minutes, move veggies to the edge of the pan and add the chicken to the middle.
- Cook chicken for 3-4 minutes, rotating as they cook.
- Squeeze the remaining lime juice over the chicken and cover pan with lid. Continue cooking until chicken has reached 165 degrees.
- Layer sweet potatoes, veggies and chicken on a tortilla. Top with avocado and feta.