We have a local ice cream shop in town called Churn that makes the best cookie ice cream sandwiches. When you taste one, you know why they are a rising fad right now, with multiple restaurants creating their own version of the summer treat. I served these on the 4th of July and what was originally intended to be a dessert for the kids ended up being enjoyed by everyone.
As I was making these, my husband said, “Make one without sprinkles for me.” I slowly turned and stared at him. Who are you and why don’t you like sprinkles? So while we all ate our colorful treat, he was boring and plain.
4 Tips for Making Perfect Ice Cream Sandwiches
This was the first time I made these sandwiches and I definitely learned a thing or two! So here are a few tips for when you make yours:
- Freeze the cookies first. They are pretty much the perfect chocolate chip cookie, which means when fresh, they are gooey in the middle. If I didn’t freeze them, I would have had a cookie crisis on my hands (literally).
- Use a cookie scoop. You want the cookies to be the same size. Nobody likes to be lopsided, and neither does your ice cream sandwich.
- Roll the cookies in sprinkles. Or cookie crumbs. Or candy bar crumbs. Or chocolate chips. Or….okay, you get the idea! Make sure you press down enough to bring the ice cream to the edge of the cookies.
- Wrap each one in parchment paper. This will avoid a melty ice cream crisis as they refreeze in the freezer. You’d have chocolate chips on top of rainbow sprinkles on top of cookie crumbs. Not that that’s a bad thing…but it can get messy!
Though I loved the convenience of making these little cuties ahead of time, I think next time an ice cream sandwich bar would be fun! Different cookies, ice creams and sprinkles will have everyone talking!
Ice Cream Sandwiches
Make these Ice Cream Sandwiches the next time you want to impress friends and family. Of course, they make great single serving desserts for you too.
- 2¼ cups flour
- ¾ cups brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup of butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips
- coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- vanilla ice cream
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until creamy.
- Add flour, salt and baking soda. Mix until the dough comes together.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Use a 1¼ inch cookie scoop to scoop out onto baking sheet lined with a silicone baking mat. Sprinkle each cookie with coarse sea salt.
- Bake at 375 for 8½ minutes.
- Let cool on a baking sheet.
- When they are cool, put in a freezer bag and freeze for 30 minutes to one hour. (not necessary but it keeps them from breaking when you press the sandwiches together)
- Remove from freezer and assemble the sandwiches. I used the same scoop for the cookie dough as I did for the ice cream. Put a scoop on one cookie and press the other cookie on top. Press down to bring the ice cream to the edge of the sandwich. Roll in sprinkles.
Follow us on Instagram to see what we are cooking up next!